I thought this was a good, tasty burger. I did not use the food processor, but I did mash the mixture with a potato masher until it all stuck together a bit. I then formed and breaded the burgers and put them into the fridge for about an hour. I had no problems with the burgers falling apart, they stayed completely intact and I even got 5 burgers out of the recipe.
Jamaican Black Bean Burgers
Plantains pair well with this Caribbean-inspired burger. Cut two peeled, underripe plantains in half lengthwise, and cut each half crosswise into two pieces. Coat with cooking spray; sauté for four minutes on each side or until golden and slightly soft. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 420
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Carbohydrate: 69.5g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 828mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 Boston lettuce leaves
- 4 (1/8-inch-thick) slices red onion
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, ginger, and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add allspice, coriander, salt, and red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Place the onion mixture, rice, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, and black beans in a food processor; pulse 15 times or until finely chopped. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1-inch-thick patty. Place remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, and dredge patties in breadcrumbs. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties to the pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until browned and crisp.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on top half of each bun. Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top each serving with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 onion slice, and top half of bun.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note