We went "bananas" over this one! No changes needed!
Jamaican Banana Bread
Nuts, coconut, lime, and rum give this quick bread a tropical and indulgent feel. It’s an unforgettable recipe with the tangy lime glaze balancing the sweet bread. Give it a try. Don’t let the long ingredient list fool you; many are repeated ingredients that are mixed in the bread and then used to top the bread with a glaze that puts drizzled powdered sugar and milk to shame.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 195
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 33.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 155mg
- Calcium: 57mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 1/4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dark rum or 1/8 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. Place 2 tablespoons softened butter and cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon 9 ounces flour (about 2 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk. Combine banana and next 5 ingredients (through vanilla); stir well. Add flour mixture and banana mixture alternately to butter mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup coconut.
- 3. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake at 375° for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.
- 4. Combine brown sugar and 2 teaspoons each butter, lime juice, and rum in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons each pecans and coconut; spoon over loaf.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads