- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 1/4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dark rum or 1/8 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
- calories 195
- fat 5.3 g
- satfat 2.3 g
- monofat 1.7 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 3 g
- carbohydrate 33.6 g
- fiber 1.2 g
- cholesterol 20 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 155 mg
- calcium 57 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
Place 2 tablespoons softened butter and cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.
Weigh or lightly spoon 9 ounces flour (about 2 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk. Combine banana and next 5 ingredients (through vanilla); stir well. Add flour mixture and banana mixture alternately to butter mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup coconut.
Pour batter into prepared pan; bake at 375° for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.
Combine brown sugar and 2 teaspoons each butter, lime juice, and rum in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons each pecans and coconut; spoon over loaf.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.