Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
This recipe goes with Star Cookies
Yield: Makes about 3 dozen
More From Coastal Living
Chill: 1 Hour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg and lemon zest; beat until smooth.
- 2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Shape dough into 2 balls, wrap in wax paper, and chill 1 hour.
- 3. Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into shapes using a 3-inch star-shaped cutter. Cut centers out of half of cookies with smaller star-shaped cutters. Place on greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake, in batches, 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned; cool on wire racks.
- 4. Spread whole cookies evenly with a thin layer of jam. Sprinkle cut-out cookies with powdered sugar. Place 1 cut-out cookie on top of each whole cookie.
- Star Cookies: To make these patriotic cookies (which can be used to garnish our Celebration Cupcakes), start with the Jam Stars recipe. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness; cut with a 2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet, and insert a short wooden skewer halfway into side of each cookie. Bake as directed.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 cups powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons half-and-half, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, stirring with a whisk until icing is smooth. Divide into batches, and tint with desired amount of red or blue food coloring. Spoon icing onto cooled cookies, and spread to edges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note