I made this for a potluck brunch and it was a huge hit!! I ended up using 5 eggs because I was cooking for a crowd, and I thought the filling-to-dough ratio was just right with 5 eggs. I also made two other versions for vegetarian guests: one with broccoli and cheddar and another with spinach and feta! I also ended up cooking the eggs separately from the other filling ingredients, and then just layered them on top. Can't wait to have an excuse to make this again!
Jalapeño, Sausage, Jack, and Egg Breakfast Braid
This prize-winning stuffed breakfast bread recipe starts with a can of refrigerated pizza dough that's filled with a mixture of sausage, eggs, cheese and jalapeño peppers. Serve with fresh fruit for breakfast or brunch.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 323
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 32.3g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 643mg
- Calcium: 119mg
- 1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces chicken sausage with jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeño peppers
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat into a 15 x 10–inch rectangle.
- 3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in eggs; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until set. Remove from heat.
- 4. Sprinkle Monterey Jack lengthwise down center of dough, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border on each side. Spoon egg mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle cheddar over egg mixture; top with jalapeño peppers.
- 5. Make 2-inch-long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling using a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Arrange strips over filling, alternating strips diagonally over filling. Press ends under to seal. Brush with egg white. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note