This recipe was adapted from a favorite of The Catfish Institute in Belzoni, Mississippi. Substituting beer for milk makes these lighter and tangier.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk or beer
- 1 seeded, diced jalapeño pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add egg and milk to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in jalapeño. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels; serve immediately.
- Note: Keep fried hushpuppies warm in oven at 225° for up to 15 minutes. For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This