Wonderful soup to warm up on a cold day! I made this recipe a couple times to make for a soup swap. I added onion because all the other Butternut Squash soups I've made add that and toned down the spice adding a little applesauce. Nice flavor.
Jalapeño-Ginger Butternut Squash Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 3.7g
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 1098mg
- Cholesterol: 7.6mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-in. cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Crème fraîche (optional)
- 1. Heat olive oil in a 4- to 5-qt. pot over high heat. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeño, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not yet browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cayenne and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add squash, broth, brown sugar, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. In a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth, then pour back into the pot. Stir in cream and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot, with a swirl of crème fraîche if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
This recipe doubles easily and freezes for up to 2 months.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews