Yummy and gooey and indulgent, but a little too spicy for my taste (of course I should have known better, working with jalapenos!) I would rather use the same cheese stuffing and breadcrumb coating on something less fiery, like button mushrooms.
Jalapeño Chile Poppers
Each pepper gets a double dip in the egg and breadcrumbs for an extra crispy coating. The tip of a paring knife works well for removing the membranes and seeds from peppers.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 poppers)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 18.8g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 532mg
- Calcium: 216mg
- 12 pickled whole jalapeño peppers (about 2 (12-ounce) jars)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Drain jalapeños. Cut 1/4 inch off stem ends of peppers, reserving stem ends. Carefully remove membranes and seeds, leaving peppers intact.
- Combine cheeses in a small bowl. Spoon cheese mixture into a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Carefully snip off one bottom corner of bag. Pipe cheese mixture evenly into peppers; replace stem ends, pressing gently to seal.
- Combine egg substitute and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, and paprika in a shallow bowl.
- Working with one pepper at a time, dip in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining peppers, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture. Return peppers, one at a time, to egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place peppers on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat peppers with cooking spray.
- Bake peppers at 400° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers