- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple tidbits
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. seeded and diced jalapeño pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
How to Make It
Pour oil to depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients. Add egg and buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Let stand 10 minutes.
Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in 3 batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Keep warm in a 200° oven.