This were wonderful and easy. I did make a change though, I put 1/2 of the batter in the pan and then put a little wad of pepper jack cheese in the center. I then added the rest of the batter to the top. The cheese cooked in the middle....it was delish!
Jalapeño Corn Cakes
Photo: Annabelle Breakey
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 259
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 6.3g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 348mg
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup medium-grind cornmeal, preferably stone-ground*
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 3 green onions, chopped, plus sliced onions for garnish
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1. Whisk egg and milk together in a medium bowl. Add cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and marjoram, stirring to combine. Fold in chopped onions, jalapeño, and corn.
- 2. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Scoop 1/4-cup portions of batter into pan. Cook, turning once, until puffed and browned, about 6 minutes total. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil between batches. Serve with sour cream and sliced onions.
- *Buy in a well-stocked grocery store or natural-food store.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2-cake serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables