Jacques Pepins Plum Galette
Community Recipe from
- PATE BRISEE
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 stick(s) COLD unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/3 cup(s) ice water
- 1/4 cup(s) plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) ground almonds
- 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 pound(s) large plums halved, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup(s) good-quality plum, apricot, or raspberry preserves strained if chunky or seedy
- MAKE THE PATE BRISEE Put the flour, butter and salt in a food processor and process for 5 seconds; the butter should still be in pieces. Add the ice water and process for 5 seconds longer, just until the dough comes together; the butter should still be visible.
- Remove the dough from the processor and gather it into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 16-by-18-inch oval 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to a large, heavy baking sheet. Chill the dough until firm, about 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°.
- MAKE THE FILLING In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the sugar with the ground almonds and flour. Spread this mixture evenly over the dough to within 2 inches of the edge. Arrange the plum wedges on top and dot with the butter. Sprinkle all but 1 teaspoon of the remaining 1/3 cup sugar over the fruit. Fold the edge of the dough up over the plums to create a 2-inch border. (If the dough feels cold and firm, wait for a few minutes until it softens to prevent it from cracking.) Sprinkle the border with the reserved 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Bake the galette in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour, until the fruit is very soft and the crust is richly browned. If any juices have leaked onto the baking sheet, slide a knife under the galette to release it from the sheet. Evenly brush the preserves over the hot fruit; brush some up onto the crust, too, if desired. Let the galette cool to room temperature before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ftcollinsco and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Jacques Pepins Plum Galette Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
More Recipes for Main Dishes