Jacques Pepins Beef Stew in Red Wine Sauce
From Food and Wine, April 2007 http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/beef-stew-in-red-wine-sauce Serve with a robust, dark-fruited Cabernet Sauvignon: 2011 Ramsay, North Coast.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 pound(s) flatiron steak or chuck trimmed, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup(s) onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle(s) dry red wine (750ml)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig(s) thyme
- 5 ounce(s) pancetta
- 15 pearl onions
- 15 crimini mushrooms
- 15 baby carrots
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Arrange the meat in the casserole in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 8 minutes. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat the meat with it. Add the wine, bay leaves and thyme, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Cover the casserole and transfer it to the oven. Cook the stew for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is very tender and the sauce is flavorful.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cover the pancetta with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain the pancetta and slice it 1/2 inch thick, then cut the slices into 1-inch-wide lardons.
- In a large skillet, combine the pancetta, pearl onions, mushrooms and carrots. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 cup of water and a large pinch each of sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until almost all of the water has evaporated, 15 minutes. Uncover and cook over high heat, tossing, until the vegetables are tender and nicely browned, about 4 minutes.
- To serve, stir some of the vegetables and lardons into the stew and scatter the rest on top as a garnish. Top with a little chopped parsley and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ftcollinsco and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Jacques Pepins Beef Stew in Red Wine Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes