- 2 (14. oz.) cans young jackfruit in brine, drained
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped (about 2 tbsp)
- 4 teaspoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 12 (6-in.) corn tortillas
- Toppings: diced mango, diced avocado, sliced radishes, fresh cilantro leaves, shredded cabbage
- Lime wedges
How to Make It
Rinse jackfruit under cold running water; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion, jalapeño, and garlic; cook, stirring often, until tender and beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add jackfruit, and stir to break up fruit. Sprinkle with cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, vegetable stock, and adobo sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and wipe skillet clean.
Heat tortillas over a gas flame, if desired, and wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in same skillet over medium-high. Spread half of jackfruit mixture (about 1 1/2 cups) in an even layer in skillet. Cook, without stirring, until lightly browned on bottom, about 2 minutes. Stir and cook until evenly browned and crisp in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide mixture among 6 tortillas. Repeat with remaining oil and jackfruit mixture. Add desired toppings to tacos, and serve with lime wedges.