We have made this quite a few times. My kids love it. We skip the jack-o-lantern part and eat it regularly throughout the year.
Jack-O'-Lantern Cheeseburger Pie
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg
- Red and yellow liquid food coloring
- Cook first 5 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in ketchup and Worcestershire sauce; cool.
- Unfold 1 piecrust, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread mustard evenly over crust. Stir together meat mixture and 2 cups cheese; spoon onto center of crust, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Unfold remaining piecrust, and cut out a jack-o'-lantern face, reserving pastry cutouts to use as a stem. Place crust over meat mixture; crimp edges of crust, and fold under. Place stem on top of jack-o'-lantern face.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons water, egg, and 1 drop each of red and yellow food coloring; brush over crust.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes; remove from oven, and brush again with egg mixture. Fill eyes, nose, and mouth with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 5 to 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note