Notes: Follow package directions for thawing bread dough. If making ahead, wrap cool bread airtight and hold at room temperature up to 1 day or freeze to store longer. Reheat (thawed, if frozen), loosely covered with foil, in a 350º oven until warm, 10 to 15 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 211
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 5.8g
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 367mg
- Cholesterol: 9.2mg
- 2 loaves (1 lb. each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1. Place loaves in a bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down, knead loaves together in bowl, and shape into a ball.
- 3. Transfer ball to an oiled 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. With oiled hands or a lightly floured rolling pin, flatten ball into an 11- by 13-inch oval. Cut out eyes, nose, and mouth; openings should be at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide. (To make small loaves, divide dough into 4 equal pieces, roll into 4- by 6-in. ovals; eye, nose, and mouth openings should be at least 1 to 1 1/2 in. wide.) Lift out cutout dough and bake on another pan or use for decorations.
- 4. Cover shaped dough lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until puffy, about 20 minutes.
- 5. Mix egg with milk; brush over dough.
- 6. Bake in a 350° oven until well-browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve warm or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note