This is very good. I didn't taste the fennel bulb as much as I would have liked. I served with an Italian seasoned bonelss skinless chicken breast. This was really good the next day for lunch straight from the fridge.
Italian Vegetable Caponata
Prep: 17 minutes; Cook: 43 minutes
The salty, acidic flavors of vinegar, tomatoes, capers, and kalamata olives harmonize with brown sugar and sweet raisins, creating a sweet-and-sour taste that's often found in Sicilian cooking.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 83
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 15.3g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 316mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 1 large fennel bulb with stalks (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), cubed
- 1 cup cubed zucchini (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1/2 small)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon capers, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1. Remove and discard fennel stalks. Trim tough outer leaves from fennel bulb. Cut bulb in half through base. Cut out small pyramid-shaped core from each half; discard. Place cored fennel cut sides down; slice crosswise into 4 thick slices. Cut slices into cubes. Set aside.
- 2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add fennel, eggplant, and next 4 ingredients; sauté 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 13 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Caponata (kap-oh-NAH-tah) is an eggplant-based dish that can be served alongside chicken, pork, or fish, or as an antipasto or condiment. Though most often served at room temperature, it's also good served warm or chilled.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note