Great combination for a quick weeknight meal and easily reduced for just two people. I served with corn on the cob, and the serving size was just right, even for my husband who usually eats two CL servings. I used mostly some beautiful banana peppers from the farmer's market in addition to both red and gold bells. In fact, this dish is so good, I made it for lunch the next day with the rest of the sausage! One small change: add a pinch of sugar to the vinegar.
Italian Turkey Sausage with Three Peppers
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Cindy Barr
Use a variety of bell peppers--red, yellow, and orange--for visual appeal. Crushed red and ground black round out the peppers of the recipe's title.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 sausage link, 1/3 cup bell pepper mixture, and about 1 cup potato)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 358
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 21.3g
- Carbohydrate: 41.2g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 861mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 3 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hot Italian turkey sausages (about 1 [19 1/2-ounce] package)
- 3 bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Toss to coat. Bake at 375º for 40 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- While potatoes cook, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Pierce the sausage casings several times with a fork. Add sausages to pan; cook 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove sausages from pan.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan. Add bell peppers; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt, vinegar, rosemary, and crushed red pepper. Return sausages to pan; cover and cook over medium-low heat 15 minutes or until the sausages are done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes