Italian-Style Hash Browns and Steak
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
If you don't have a mortar and pestle, you can grind the fennel seeds in a spice or coffee grinder then combine them with the salt, pepper, and garlic.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and 1 cup potatoes)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 28.7g
- Carbohydrate: 31.5g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 826mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers (such as Ore-Ida Potatoes O'Brien)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-pound) boneless sirloin steak
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and potatoes; cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
- While potatoes cook, combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, fennel seeds, and garlic in a mortar. Mash to a paste with a pestle; rub over steak.
- Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Thinly slice steak; serve with potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This