This was really, really, really bland. I tried adding onion and garlic as suggested by nancycotton. I used half hot sausage, half mild sausage. None of that helped. This recipe needs a major overhaul to make it worth eating. I'd probably use ground beef instead of sausage, add some red wine, use more garlic & basil, and maybe some oregano. The only thing I liked about this was how easy it was. Nice that it's healthy but it isn't at all tasty.
Italian Sausage and Spinach Lasagna
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 354
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 439mg
- Calcium: 384mg
- 6 whole wheat uncooked lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces hot or mild turkey Italian sausage
- 1 (26-ounce) jar no-salt-added spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (15-ounce) carton fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, but do not rinse. Arrange noodles in a single layer on wax paper to prevent sticking.
- 3. Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well; return to pan. Add spaghetti sauce and carrot; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- 4. Spoon 3/4 cup sauce mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles over sauce. Combine ricotta cheese, salt, 1/2 cup hot water, spinach, and basil in a large bowl; spoon half of mixture over noodles. Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers with remaining ricotta mixture, 3 noodles, and remaining sauce mixture. Cover dish with foil; bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella, and bake 30 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note