This was absolutely delicious. For the steady dieter, this is perfect for those who dont. Packs all the flavor and is a pasta dish. Only thing I did differently was used San Marzano crushed tomatoes instead of whole ones. I also accidently dumped all the brine from the capers in and I think it helped! If you like spicy, red pepper flakes only add perfection. This might be my favorite recipe for the WW lunch club!
Italian Sausage Puttanesca
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Jan Gautro
If you're in the mood for something spicy rather than creamy, this is it. For a little less heat, use mild turkey Italian sausage instead of hot.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 482
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 24.7g
- Carbohydrate: 63.3g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 983mg
- Calcium: 231mg
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/2 cup halved pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Remove casings from sausage. Place sausage, onion, pepper, and garlic in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; sauté 8 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- Add tomatoes, olives, tomato paste, capers, and anchovy paste to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add pasta, tossing well to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles