These were really good :) Unfortunately, I didn't have any green peppers in the fridge but this recipe was simple, fast and delicious!!
Italian Sausage Hoagies
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 309
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 20.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 588mg
- Calcium: 182mg
- 4 (2-ounce) hoagie rolls, halved lengthwise
- 9 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as Amy's)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2.25 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Hollow out top halves of rolls. Arrange rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add marinara, bell pepper, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender.
- 4. Arrange about 3/4 cup sausage mixture over bottom half of each roll; sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons cheese. Place on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with top halves of rolls.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note