Italian Sausage Hoagies
- 4 (2-ounce) hoagie rolls, halved lengthwise
- 9 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as Amy's)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2.25 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- calories 309
- fat 7 g
- satfat 4.4 g
- monofat 0.9 g
- polyfat 0.1 g
- protein 20.7 g
- carbohydrate 28.5 g
- fiber 2.5 g
- cholesterol 51 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 588 mg
- calcium 182 mg
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high.
Hollow out top halves of rolls. Arrange rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add marinara, bell pepper, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender.
Arrange about 3/4 cup sausage mixture over bottom half of each roll; sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons cheese. Place on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with top halves of rolls.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.