Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) hot italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cup(s) onion, chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried italian-blend herbs
- 1 quart(s) low-sodium beef broth
- 2-14.5oz. can(s) diced tomatoes
- 1-8oz. can(s) tomato paste
- 2 cup(s) 2-small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup(s) carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) red wine
- 1-16oz. package(s) frozen cheese tortellini
- salt & pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage over medium-high heat until cooked, crumbling with back of spoon. I always season with a little salt & pepper when cooking meat, you may need to adjust seasonings later. Transfer sausage to a bowl and set aside, draining off all but 1-tbs. of drippings. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and herbs to onions and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly. Add beef broth, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add tomatoes, (I run them through the food processor) tomato paste, carrots and wine. Simmer soup mixture until carrots are almost tender, add bell pepper cook a little longer before adding zucchini (you don't want the zucchini to over cook). Stir in sausage. Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions, minus 3 minutes. Drain tortellini and add to soup mixture. Simmer for at least 3 additional minutes Garnish with parmesan cheese. I serve it with Pepperidge Farm (my personal favorite) garlic or parmesan Texas Toast.
- Note: No exact measurements for salt & pepper.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by SherryK1858 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note