Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Community Recipe from
- 1 pound(s) hot italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cup(s) onion, chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried italian-blend herbs
- 1 quart(s) low-sodium beef broth
- 2-14.5oz. can(s) diced tomatoes
- 1-8oz. can(s) tomato paste
- 2 cup(s) 2-small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup(s) carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) red wine
- 1-16oz. package(s) frozen cheese tortellini
- salt & pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage over medium-high heat until cooked, crumbling with back of spoon. I always season with a little salt & pepper when cooking meat, you may need to adjust seasonings later. Transfer sausage to a bowl and set aside, draining off all but 1-tbs. of drippings. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and herbs to onions and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly. Add beef broth, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add tomatoes, (I run them through the food processor) tomato paste, carrots and wine. Simmer soup mixture until carrots are almost tender, add bell pepper cook a little longer before adding zucchini (you don't want the zucchini to over cook). Stir in sausage. Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions, minus 3 minutes. Drain tortellini and add to soup mixture. Simmer for at least 3 additional minutes Garnish with parmesan cheese. I serve it with Pepperidge Farm (my personal favorite) garlic or parmesan Texas Toast.
- Note: No exact measurements for salt & pepper.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by SherryK1858 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes