Homemade sausage is easier than you think! These simple instructions will help you create a hearty pork sausage with Italian herbs that will go wonderfully in a pasta bake or even a breakfast casserole.
Attachments: Bowl, food grinder attachment with coarse grinding plate, sausage stuffer attachment
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Natural or synthetic casings, prepared for use per instructions
- *You may make sausage with fresh ground pork from your butcher or supermarket. Toss with spices as instructed below, and then skip to step 4 below, stirring wine into ground pork and continue as directed.
1. Place pork on a metal baking sheet and freeze 20 minutes.
2. Combine salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic, onion powder, paprika, marjoram, rosemary and thyme in small bowl. Sprinkle mixture over pork and toss to coat evenly.
3. Process one third of pork at a time in food processor (return remaining pork to freezer) until coarsely ground, or run pork through the KitchenAid® Food Grinder attachment fitted with coarse grinding plate. Transfer ground pork to large bowl and place in freezer; repeat with remaining pork.
4. Remove ground pork from freezer. Pour wine over ground pork. Stir vigorously with wooden spoon until well combined.
5. Assemble and prep KitchenAid® Sausage Stuffer attachment, greasing nozzle with shortening. Slide prepared casings onto nozzle tightly. Tie off end of casing with butcher's twine. Follow manufacturer's directions for stuffing sausage into casings. Twist sausage into smaller links as desired and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
To purchase the KitchenAid® products used in this recipe, please visit www.shopkitchenaid.com
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note