excellent cold rice salad, I make it all the time in summer. I like to replace the green beans with cold steamed broccoli. The chicken broth gives the rice great flavor.
Italian Rice Salad
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
This rice and vegetable dish is a refreshing change from pasta salad. Cool the rice so it won't become gummy, or use 3 cups chilled leftover rice.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 226
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 474mg
- Calcium: 86mg
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup basmati or long-grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (15.75 ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1 pound (1-inch) diagonally cut green beans
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup (1-ounce) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine 1 cup water, rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and broth in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread rice in an even layer over pan; cool to room temperature.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a large pan. Add beans; cover and cook 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge beans into ice water; drain.
- Combine vinegar, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add rice, beans, tomatoes, green onions, cheese, and pepper; toss gently to combine. Cover and chill.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Italian Rice Salad Recipe at a Glance