Italian Ribbon Cookies
- 7 ounce(s) Almond Past
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1 1/2 cup(s) butter
- 4 eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon(s) Almond Extract
- 2 cup(s) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 12 ounce(s) raspberry jam seedless
- 12 ounce(s) chocolate, semisweet
- 7 ounces marzipan paste or 7 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour ( , sift before measuring)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 drops green food coloring ( or to desired color)
- 5 drops red food coloring ( or to desired color)
- 1 (12 ounce) jars raspberry jam ( preferably seedless)
- 12 ounces Baker's German sweet chocolate or 1 (12 ounce) bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease three (13" x 9") metal baking pans.
- Line bottom of each with wax paper — letting it extend at two opposite ends — and grease paper.
- Break marzipan paste into small pieces and grind with sugar in food processor until no lumps remain.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add butter.
- Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add yolks and almond extract and beat well.
- Beat in flour and salt on low speed.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks and stir one third into batter to lighten slightly (batter will still be stiff).
- Fold in remaining whites thoroughly.
- Cook's note: Do not make this dough ahead of time.
- Divide dough into thirds (about 1 1/2 cups each).
- Stir green food coloring into one third and red food coloring into another, leaving one third plain.
- Spread each dough separately into a pan.
- (Layers will be thin.) Bake layers in batches in middle of oven until just set and beginning to turn golden along edges, 7 to 10 minutes total.
- Page 2 of 2Italian Ribbon Cookies (cont.)
- Run knife along edges to loosen from pan, then while still hot, invert a large rack over pan and invert layer onto rack, pulling gently on wax paper overhangs to release if necessary.
- Peel off wax paper and cool completely.
- Line a large shallow baking pan with wax paper and slide green layer into it.
- Spread half of jam evenly over green layer and carefully top with plain layer.
- Spread remaining jam evenly over uncolored layer and carefully top with pink layer (trim edges if necessary).
- Cover with plastic wrap and weigh down with a large cutting board or baking pan.
- Chill at least three hours.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Remove weight and plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly over top, but not sides, of pink layer.
- Let stand at room temperature until set, about 1 hour, and cut into small diamonds or rectangles (12 rows crosswise and 12 diagonal rows).
- © 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved. http://www.food.com/19975
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Pdriesell and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note