I thought it was just ok. I cooked in a crock pot, so some of the meat was not submerged. I think that took away from the fall-apart factor of the meat.. The sauce needed some thickening. I served over egg noodles for my husband, and the sauce was too runny to work well. If I were to make again, I would add some flour or cornstarch, choose a smaller pot, and possibly splash a dash of Worcestershire. The bay leaf from the other reader sounds like a good idea too. Except next time, I think I'll just try something new.
Italian Pot Roast
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) rib-eye roast, trimmed*
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (16-ounce) package red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Cook roast in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Combine tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients; pour sauce mixture over roast in Dutch oven.
- Bake, covered, at 325° for 3 hours or until roast is tender. Remove roast from Dutch oven, and keep warm; reserve drippings in Dutch oven.
- Place potato wedges in a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Skim fat from drippings in Dutch oven. Whisk together flour and beef broth until smooth; add to drippings. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, over low heat 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut roast into thin slices. Arrange roast and potatoes on a serving platter. Garnish, if desired. Serve with tomato gravy.
- *1 (4 1/2-pound) boneless beef rump roast, trimmed, may be substituted. Bake, covered, at 325° for 2 hours and 20 minutes or until tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes