I made half this recipe for 2 of us. I followed the recipe except added sauteed green bell pepper and onion strips to the sandwich and used provolone because I had it. Both greatly enhanced the flavor. I only used 3 meatballs per sandwich which = 1 ounce each/6 ounces total on the ground sirloin.
Italian Meatball Sandwich
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 269
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 25.8g
- Carbohydrate: 23.4g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 621mg
- Calcium: 0.0mg
- 6 (2-ounce) whole wheat submarine loaves
- 1 pound ground round
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut an oval piece out of top of each loaf. Reserve oval pieces for another use.
- Combine meat and next 5 ingredients. Shape into 36 (1-inch) balls. Cook meatballs in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from heat, and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Return meatballs to pan; add pasta sauce. Cook over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Place loaves on a baking sheet; top each with 6 meatballs. Spoon sauce evenly over meatballs. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note