Oh, baby. I have been making this for years now. I pulled up the recipe again on-line though to make them again recently. I have made this burger countless time for special occasions. Everyone always asks for the recipe. Recently, I made the burger mixture but made the meat into meatballs and added them to the "Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce" Cooking Light recipe (also available on-line). My family adored me :)!
Italian Meatball Burgers
These saucy, family-friendly burgers might be best eaten with a knife and fork. If you'd like to go bunless, serve over spaghetti with extra sauce. We enjoyed these with a side of macaroni salad.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 29 Minutes
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 28.1g
- Carbohydrate: 32.7g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 894mg
- Calcium: 130mg
- 6 (1.5-ounce) frozen ciabatta rolls with rosemary and olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 6 large basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Bake rolls according to package directions. Split rolls.
- 3. Remove casings from sausage. Combine sausage, chopped basil, and next 5 ingredients (through ground sirloin) in a medium bowl. Divide beef mixture into 6 equal portions with moist hands, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press thumb in center of each patty, leaving a nickel-sized indentation.
- 4. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes. Turn patties over; grill 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese evenly over patties, and grill 6 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
- 5. Place 1 basil leaf on bottom half of each roll; top each with 1 patty, 1 tablespoon marinara sauce, and roll top.
This updated version of Italian Meatball Burgers is based on a recipe that originally ran in Cooking Light, August 2007. The recipe was retested and updated for Cooking Light Crave!, Oxmoor House, 2013.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note