- 6 (1.5-ounce) frozen ciabatta rolls with rosemary and olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 6 large basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons lower-sodium marinara sauce
- calories 375
- caloriesfromfat 33 %
- fat 13.9 g
- satfat 5.3 g
- monofat 4.4 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 28.1 g
- carbohydrate 32.7 g
- fiber 1.8 g
- cholesterol 80 mg
- iron 4.5 mg
- sodium 894 mg
- calcium 130 mg
How to Make It
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Bake rolls according to package directions. Split rolls.
Remove casings from sausage. Combine sausage, chopped basil, and next 5 ingredients (through ground sirloin) in a medium bowl. Divide beef mixture into 6 equal portions with moist hands, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press thumb in center of each patty, leaving a nickel-sized indentation.
Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes. Turn patties over; grill 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese evenly over patties, and grill 6 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
Place 1 basil leaf on bottom half of each roll; top each with 1 patty, 1 tablespoon marinara sauce, and roll top.
This updated version of Italian Meatball Burgers is based on a recipe that originally ran in Cooking Light, August 2007. The recipe was retested and updated for Cooking Light Crave!, Oxmoor House, 2013.