Italian Meat Sauce
This sauce makes 14 cups, but only 6 cups are needed for the lasagna. Freeze extra sauce in zip-top plastic freezer bags, and use later for another meal.
This recipe goes with Hearty Lasagna With Italian Meat Sauce
More From Southern Living
- Calories: 151
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 359mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 3 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium-size green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (26-ounce) jars vegetable pasta sauce
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chopped diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 3 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- Cook ground beef and next 3 ingredients, in batches, in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well, and return to pan. Stir in pasta sauce and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Classico Traditional Favorites Garden Vegetable Primavera Pasta Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note