LOVE this recipe! I've been using it for years. It's simple, quick & a great do ahead recipe for those nights when you are pressed for time. Wonderful as leftovers too. It's like a deep dish pizza so kids like it. One hint, usually turns out better when you cook the crust for 10 minutes BEFORE piling in the meat & cheese.
Italian Meat Pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) package spaghetti sauce mix
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 (9-inch) frozen deep-dish pastry shell
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook beef and bell pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, tomato paste, and sauce mix. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of Parmesan cheese on bottom of frozen pastry shell; top with half of meat mixture, and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining meat mixture and Parmesan cheese. Place shell on a baking sheet.
- Bake on lowest oven rack at 400° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese; bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note