Italian Cream Pancakes
Toasted pecans add a gratifying bite to this breakfast treat of Italian Cream Pancakes.
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Cream Cheese Syrup
- Garnish: chopped toasted pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans and coconut in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, next 3 ingredients, and 2 egg yolks in another bowl. Gradually stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in toasted pecans and coconut. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot buttered griddle or large nonstick skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked. Turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until done. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200° oven up to 30 minutes. Serve with Cream Cheese Syrup.
- Note: When using a griddle, heat it to 350°.
- Tip: For tender pancakes, don't overmix the batter; it should be lumpy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note