I wish I'd "listened" to the majority of the reviewers and stuck to the Italian Chicken Sausage instead of Italian Pork Sausage. The pork sausage was just too heavy. I think I would like this soup if I had just stuck to the original recipe. I did add mushrooms though for extra texture.
Italian Chicken Sausage and Artichoke Soup
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
We like the fennel flavor of Italian sausage, but any chicken sausage will work.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 225
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 8.6g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Sodium: 611mg
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian chicken sausage, casings removed and meat broken into chunks
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved
- 1 bunch chard (1 lb.), stemmed and chopped
- Parmesan cheese
- Warm ciabatta bread
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook sausage until browned, stirring often, 10 minutes. Add broth, artichokes, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add chard and cook, covered, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with freshly grated cheese and bread.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note