Very good recipe. It makes a large casserole with only a small amount of chicken. It doesn't call for ingredients you would not have on hand already. My kids love it. It is a good, basic recipe, not a fabulous one. Have made it several times and plan to do it some more. All you need to do is add a salad or a vegetable and you have a meal. Good everyday meal.
Italian Chicken Casserole
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 2 (3.5-oz.) bags quick-cooking rice
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Sauté, in 2 batches, in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- 3. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet, and sauté onion 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in mushrooms, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove skillet from heat.
- 4. Stir together soup, sour cream, and Italian seasoning in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir soup mixture into onion mixture in skillet; stir in rice. Gently stir in tomatoes and chicken just until combined. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To make ahead: Line a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing several inches of foil to extend over sides. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 4; spoon mixture into dish. Freeze 2 hours or until firm. Lift casserole from dish using foil sides; fold foil over casserole. Wrap in additional foil, or place in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months. Remove casserole from foil or freezer bag. Place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This