Good recipe. Needed to add more Italian spices and more wine. I really liked it with the polenta.
Italian Chicken and Artichokes
Dick Sturza ladles this chicken and artichoke stew over hot cooked polenta and sprinkles it with parmesan cheese.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 315
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Sodium: 1201mg
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- 8 boiling onions (1 to 2 in. wide; about 12 oz. total), ends trimmed
- 8 ounces boned, skinned chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cooked chicken or turkey sausages (8 oz. total), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini or common mushrooms, rinsed, stem ends trimmed, and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (8 oz.) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and let stand until cool enough to handle. Slip peels from onions.
- 2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir chicken and sausages in oil frequently, until both are starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and stir often until mushrooms are limp, about 5 minutes. Add wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, artichokes, and onions; bring to a boil.
- 3. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer. Partially cover pan and cook until sauce is thickened, about 45 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This