Italian Chard Dressing
Notes: Up to 1 day ahead, make dressing, put in casserole, cover and chill.
Yield: Makes about 11 cups; 10 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 422
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 1084mg
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- 3/4 loaf (3/4 lb.) French bread
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 pounds Italian sausages
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 onion (about 6 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 packages (10 oz. each) thawed frozen Swiss chard
- 1. Cut bread into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices in a bowl and add milk. Mix gently with a spoon to saturate with milk and let stand about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, place a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat. Squeeze sausages from casings into pan. Discard casings. Stir meat often to crumble and lightly brown, 10 to 15 minutes; discard fat. Add parsley, garlic, onion, and celery. Stir often until vegetables are lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 3. With your hands, squeeze bread slices to break them into tiny pieces. Add cooked meat mixture, cheese, basil, sage, and rosemary.
- 4. Squeeze moisture from chard and add to bowl. Mix dressing and add salt to taste.
- 5. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart (9- by 13-in.) casserole. For moist dressing, cover with foil; for crusty dressing, do not cover. Bake in a 325° to 350° oven (use temperature turkey requires) until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes (1 hour if dressing is chilled).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables