- Cooking spray
- 4 cups red bell pepper strips
- 2 cups green bell pepper strips
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free Italian herb pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen)
- 12 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 12 ounces ground turkey breast
- 6 (2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- calories 428
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 13 g
- satfat 4.6 g
- monofat 3.9 g
- polyfat 2.4 g
- protein 34.7 g
- carbohydrate 42.1 g
- fiber 5.6 g
- cholesterol 93 mg
- iron 4.4 mg
- sodium 860 mg
- calcium 233 mg
How to Make It
Prepare grill or broiler.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion; sauté 10 minutes. Add pasta sauce, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Keep warm.
Remove casings from sausage. Combine sausage and turkey in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
Place patties on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.
Place 1 patty on bottom half of each hamburger bun; top each patty with 2/3 cup bell pepper mixture, 2 tablespoons cheese, and top half of each hamburger bun.