One of our favorite recipes ... with just one addition! Add either some chopped fresh basil, dried oregano or dried Italian seasoning blend (to taste). Other commenters are correct that the original recipe lacks some needed seasoning. Add the herbs as you saute the green onions. Regarding the earlier comment about using Bisquick, etc. for a quick or last-minute version, that's not necessary. The recipe is best mixed and refrigerated the night before but will also be just fine and very good if you mix just before baking.
Italian Brunch Casserole
- 1 (8-ounce) package sweet Italian sausage
- 8 green onions, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 zucchini, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) Italian bread loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Remove and discard casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large skillet, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- Add green onions and next 3 ingredients to skillet. Sauté 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in roasted bell peppers. Drain and cool.
- Spread 4 cups of bread cubes in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half each of the sausage mixture and cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, sausage, and cheese.
- Whisk together eggs and milk. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Bake, covered, at 325° for 1 hour or until bubbly and hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch