ITALIAN BREAKFAST STRATA
Great Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Fresh Basil, Mozzarella, eggs, and Italian Bread. Prepare & refrigerate overnight. Takes 35 min to prepare and 1 hour to cook. All my family loved it more than the traditional egg and pork sausage casseroles. Light, not as heavy. Found in Family Circle Magazine, Dec. 2011
Yield: 8 servings ( Serving Size: 8 )
Community Recipe from
- 1/2 cup(s) Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 3/4 pound(s) Sweet Italian Sausage Casings Removed
- 1 Green Bell Pepper cored, seeded & diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cored seeded & diced
- 1 loaf(s) Italian Bread (14 oz) Cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 cup(s) Milk
- 1/3 cup(s) Packed Basil Leaves chopped
- 2 cup(s) Shredded Mozzarella Separate into 1 cup portions
- 1. Bring 1 cup water to boil. Place sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and add water. Let stand for 10 min.
- 2. Crumble sausage into large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium to med-high heat for 6 min. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 in. Remove from heat.
- 3. Drain sun-dried tomatoes and chop. Stir into sausage mixture in skillet.
- 4. Place bread cubes in a very large bowl.
- 5. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and chopped basil.
- 6. Stir sausage mixture into bread along with 1 cup of the cheese.
- 7. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture and stir to moisten all ingredients.
- 8. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 9. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- 10. Heat over to 350 degrees.
- 11. Uncover dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 12. Cover dish with foil and bake, covered, at 350 for 45 min.
- 13. Uncover and bake 15 min more.
- 14. Cool slightly before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Marshabuxton and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes