This was tasty, but I question whether the corn meal crust is supposed to bake before the beef/tomato mixture is added. The crust is soggy, not crusty. Does anyone know?
Italian Beef Casserole With Polenta Crust
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Italian six-cheese blend, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bring 3 cups water and 1 tsp. salt to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in cornmeal; reduce heat to low, and simmer, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in steak seasoning and 1/4 cup cheese. Spread cornmeal mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- 2. Brown Italian sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and transfer to a bowl.
- 3. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and zucchini in hot oil in skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sausage, tomatoes, and tomato paste; simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Pour sausage mixture over cornmeal crust. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle casserole with parsley just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles