Israeli Roast Eggplant, Hummus and Pickle Sandwiches
At Butcher & Bee in Charleston, S.C., owner Michael Shemtov and chef Stuart Tracy prepare this messy, incredibly tasty vegetarian sandwich, called a sabich, with vegetables, hummus, house-baked pita and herbs from a garden right behind the restaurant. "The sabich is Iraqi-Israeli, just like me," Shemtov says. "It's a personal dish."
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour
- 1 (large) baking potato
- 1 (medium) eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 (large) tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 (large) jalapeño, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 (thick) pita breads, warmed
- 1 cup hummus
- 1/4 cup tahini, at room temperature
- 4 (large) hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 4 (small) dill pickles, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a small saucepan, cover the potato with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool, then peel the potato and slice it 1/4 inch thick. Season the potato slices with salt.
- Meanwhile, arrange the eggplant slices on a rimmed baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil. Season with salt and bake for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
- In a large bowl, add the cucumber, tomato, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro and parsley. Toss with the lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut off 2 inches from the side of the warm pitas to make openings in the pockets. Gently open the pitas. Spread the hummus on the bottoms and 1 tablespoon of tahini over it. Layer the potato slices, eggplant, egg and cucumber-tomato salad in the pitas, along with some of the salad juices. Top with the pickle slices and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This