I loved this!!! I added more cashews which gave it a great flavor!!!! This is an excellent side dish!!!
Israeli Couscous with Asparagus
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 133
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 2 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut asparagus (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked Israeli couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped lightly salted cashews
- 1. Place water in a medium saucepan; bring water to a boil. Add asparagus, and cook 2 minutes or just until crisp-tender; drain. Place asparagus in ice water 1 minute; drain. Set aside.
- 2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil. Add couscous; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in asparagus, black pepper, red bell pepper, and cashews. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Note: To substitute quick-cooking barley for Israeli couscous, use 1 cup barley and 2 cups broth. Cover and cook 10 to 12 minutes before adding remaining ingredients.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables