Extremely bland - will not be making this again. Chicken Curry is a much tastier choice - just as easy with very similar ingredients, but WAY more satisfying seasonings.
Island Chicken and Rice
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
- 4 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 (3.5-ounce) jar macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
- Garnish: fresh pineapple
- Sprinkle 4 1/2 pounds chicken pieces evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Brown chicken in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from skillet, and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Add butter to skillet, and melt, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet; add chopped onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Add long-grain rice, and sauté 4 minutes; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth and next 3 ingredients; return chicken to skillet. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 35 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Uncover, fluff rice with a fork, and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle evenly with green onions and nuts. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: We used pick-of-the-chick (3 thighs, 3 breasts, 3 legs) for chicken pieces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes