Iron woman gingerbread smoothie
As women, we’re about twice as likely to suffer from iron deficiency as compared to men. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, you’re even more likely to suffer from an iron deficiency at some point in your life, especially because plant-based sources of iron are more difficult to absorb than animal-based sources. This gingerbread smoothie is packed with blackstrap molasses, which is a wonderful vegan source of iron. One tablespoon has 3.5 mg of iron and I like to sneak in two tablespoons into this smoothie. Add in some chia seeds and you will up your iron even more. Consume this smoothie with vitamin C (such as a piece of citrus fruit) to help increase the iron’s absorption
Yield: 1 serving
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) almond milk
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon(s) Chia seeds
- 2 ice cubes
- 1. Place all ingredients, except the molasses, into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- 2. Now add the molasses, a bit at a time, to taste. You may find that you only want 1 tbsp of molasses or maybe 2 tbsps if you like the flavour as much as I do.
- can top with peanutbutter graham crackers and coconut
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jdudeck and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes