Irish soda bread
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/2 cup(s) All purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) Whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) Baking soda
- 1/4 cup(s) Currants
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup(s) Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon(s) Butter Melted
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- Combine flours, baking soda & salt in a large mixing bowl, stir in currants. Add 1 1/4 cup of buttermilk. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened but add more buttermilk, if needed, to make a soft dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 1 minute and shape into a ball. Place in breaded baking dish. Pat down into a 8 inch circle. With a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch deep "V" into top of dough.
- Bake in preheated 375*f oven until golden, about 30-35 minutes. Transfer to wire rack & brush with the melted butter. Serve warm or a room temp.
- Make 1 loaf.
- My family doesn't like caraway seeds so I don't add them.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MoiraJacquette and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note