Irish Soda Bread
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, butter, and raisins; add to flour mixture, stirring until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Press dough evenly into a 1 1/2-inch-thick circle.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack; cool 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads