I love thick and creamy baked potato soups, so I was tempted to use some of the suggestions about adding more potatos. I didn't though and everyone really liked this soup. It was light and delicious. I have onion-phobic family members, and the blending removed the evidence! I used an immersion blender and that was much easier than putting in an actual blender. I will definitely make this one again.
Irish Potato Soup
Photo: Ralph Anderson
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled cooked bacon, chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat; stir in onion and leek. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Stir in potato; cover and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides; return to saucepan, and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note