Nice and light soup. With sodium restricted diets, along with the unsalted butter I used reduced sodium chicken broth. Added some paprika and nutmeg but will have to increase the amount a little next time to add a bit more flavor. This was the first time I made potato soup and was not disappointed. The recipe was simple to do. I too used a hand mixer in the soup pot. It will added to our favorite soup file for sure.
Irish Potato Soup
Photo: Ralph Anderson
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled cooked bacon, chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat; stir in onion and leek. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Stir in potato; cover and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides; return to saucepan, and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews