Made this on St. Patrick's Day with brown soda bread, and it was delicious. Not a pretty dish, but very tasty. Everyone was surprised that there was no cream in it, and my dinner guest begged for a to-go portion to take home. I was worried at how bland it tasted initially, but once I upped the salt a little, it was fine.
Irish Colcannon and Thyme Leaf Soup
This soup reinterprets an Irish classic: colcannon, a dish of mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage. Garnish with extra thyme and black pepper.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 130
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 442mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 1/2 cups diced peeled baking potato (about 14 ounces)
- 1 cup diced onion (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 cups thinly sliced savoy cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add potato, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook 6 minutes. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine 3 tablespoons water and remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Add cabbage and thyme. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place half of potato mixture in blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture. Add potato mixture to cabbage mixture; cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews