This was really tasty. I made this per the recipe to go with corned beef and boiled potatoes for St. Patrick's Day dinner. It is easy and quick to make. My 8-year-old loved it. It's moist and flavorful and would be great heated up for breakfast too. I will definitely make this again!! I only rated it 3 stars because of the description which goes with the stars not because of the taste.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Cut shortening and butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in raisins.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, and vinegar; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Pour batter into a greased 10 1/2-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes.
- NOTE: Bread also may be baked in 2 greased 8-inch round cakepans for 30 to 35 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads